Monday, March 5, 2012

Food Ideas

Jackson's Nutritionist asked me to write down a few of my recipes/ideas and things I serve Jackson for meals, to help out other parents who are at a loss for creativity and diversity in the foods they are making their kids. 
Everything I make for Jackson is fast (usually in 30 mins or less-due to working around nap time), simple (prepackaged or with basic ingredients), and well balanced (as according to his dietary needs-and yes the food triangle lol)

As mentioned in my first post I am not a medical professional and I do not have a background in any culinary training, but as with most things when it comes to kids a lot of it is simple trial and error.

The first "invention" if you will, is a simple Crescent Roll up, Parents this is so so easy to make!
We purchase the small cans of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, they contain 4 perforated triangles which is a better serving size and less expensive.

Preheat oven to 350 (following the can directions works best)
lay out the triangles on a baking sheet

Now the fun part:
Place filling of choice at widest end of the triangle
ex. turkey cubes and cream cheese
grilled chicken and shredded cheese
hot dogs pieces, cheese, and ketchup and mustard
etc..this is where the experiments begin, find a meat that your child likes and a sauce or a cheese and don't hesitate to be creative!
Also, if you have older children this is a fun snack or meal idea they can cook with you

Next:
Roll the triangle as if you would a regular crescent roll from the widest end to the narrowest, and pinch ends to hold filling in.

Place in oven for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown

Let cool and enjoy! pair with your child's favorite fruit and veggie and you have a nice well balanced lunch.




I would highly recommend these cube cups, they are perfectly proportioned and great for little hands.  Also they are great for the rollups and add a nice variety. You can find them in turkey, chicken or ham, and Jackson loves them!


I also like to switch up the food I make for Jackson, for example, if he has rollups one day I will give him a pasta with meat for lunch the next day, and then the following day something different. Variety is good, but if you have a picky eater it's ok to stick to the same thing, although introducing something new never hurts.

Jackson loves Macaroni and Cheese, I like to add a meat to it, to give it an extra serving of protein, to help balance the fat and dairy out.

Here I made a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, and a prepackaged meatball, and some veggies.  These are great because they are fast and easy and precooked, you can just nuke them in the microwave or bake them if you prefer.



Here are 2 different examples of fun lunches involving tuna fish, which is high in protein as well as easy to incorporate into different meals.

First, I have tuna salad sandwiches, made with canned tuna (in water), mayo, relish, and chopped hard boiled egg, of course feel free to make this according to your childs likes, as not everyone is a fan of tuna, and canned chicken is a great substitute.  Pair this with some veggies ( I have a dollop of cream cheese/with chives for dipping) and there you go!

Next, I have a quick and easy lunch I prepared, tuna salad (this time just canned tuna and mayo), Ritz crackers, cut up string cheese, veggie medley, and fresh grapes, all finger foods and Jackson loved it!


I will continue to add to this as Jackson and I find more and more foods he likes, but as with anything please consult your Pediatrician regarding any changes in your child's diet/and always monitor your child while eating especially during self feeding..

No comments:

Post a Comment